WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menosukhi Moments - revisiting fun times

June 17th 2013 I told you the story of bathtime with the J's... at the time I had no pictures to hand.  Now the scanning is getting fully under way I can update.  So this is a re-post with illustrations - lots of them!  Am splitting the original into two now for space management. (Click on picz for a closer view.)


Have I mentioned bath time with the J's?  Perhaps in passing.  Certainly have not related in detail the fun and games.

Jet (the guinea pig) had to be bathed regularly for, as you might imagine in the vaguely tropical climate that is Sydney, skin troubles would otherwise plague him… and therefore me.  He was a compliant lad and the only time he would protest was on the quarterly use of delousing shampoo.  Don't blame him for that.  It stank.
"Gramma MacLean helps out"

He absolutely adored being brushed.  He would come when I called and tapped the brush...  At a run!  



For two years then it was only Jet and YAM and a well-bonded pair we were.

Then along came the cat.  Jasper, right from kitten-hood, loved to cuddle.  I have known so many cats who are very selective in their affections, but this lad; not just with me but with anyone who would allow him close.  He was an active smoocher.  Butting his head into every part of you, kneading, curling.
 
Finally he'd settle on the left shoulder (only the left mark you), draped like a stole and perfectly at peace.  This made for easy grooming.  I made a habit from the very beginning of our relationship, to take him on my knee each evening and run my hands through that thick and gorgeous silver coat, removing any unwanted guests (dispatching them accordingly - there is a limit to my hospitality).  If he thought I had paid too much attention to one area he would ensure to move so that another spot got seen to.  What is more, he would watch Jet being bathed each month and would happily allow me to put him through the routine too!

It was this nightly session which saved our bonding after his big adventure.  Whilst it took a couple of months, he finally started coming for the grooming sessions again.  However, he never again let me bathe him.  This confirmed my suspicion that he had been flooded and perhaps close to  drowning during that escapade  and he had no more desire for encounters with water!

























...back next week with the the rest...



6 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a cat who liked to be bathed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word, what a beautiful cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I read it right you washed a cat, I have done that and was lucky to survive the experience.
    merle........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such special furiends you had. I love seeing these photos from your past. Happy Mother's Day to you Auntie Yam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My childhood pet guinea pig Arthur never ever had a bath during his eight long years on this planet. It never even occurred to us!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari OM
    Yes, true, Jasper for the first two years of his life happily joined in the 'pool parties'...

    Bertie/Gail - Here in UK I suppose there would be less need but the climate of OZ resulted in Jet getting a type of dermatitis when he was a piglet, so monthly baths were advised by vet. He truly enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏